A commitment to improving consumer and community engagement in health and medical research
SAHMRI has joined forces with the Health Consumers Alliance of SA Inc (HCA) to bring researchers and consumers together to tackle some of the greatest health issues confronting us today.
A framework for better engagement
We are using our co-research framework to engage consumers in planning research priorities, in the projects themselves, and in working out how to make sure our research really does improve the health of individuals and communities.
The framework was informed by a review of literature and current practice from across the world. We have formed a Consumer and Community Engagement Committee and their work plan has four immediate priorities:
- embed consumer and community engagement in SAHMRI culture
- build the capacity of researchers for consumer engagement
- create a register of consumers interested in different aspects of research
- research and evaluate our work to help us do it better.
Meet the committee
Ms Debra Kay, Chair
Dr Caroline Miller, Executive Representative SAHMRI
Ms Ellen Kerrins, Executive Representative HCA
Ms Kristin Johansson
Ms Judy Smith
Ms Julie Marker
Ms Julie Butters
Dr Carmel Collins
Ms Katrina Hanna
Associate Professor Philippa Middleton
Ms Kathy Mott
Dr Michael Musker
Dr Nathan O’Callaghan
Dr Marten Snel
Professor Steve Wesselingh
Dr David Yeung
Get in touch
If you are interested in finding our how you can be involved as a consumer, please get in touch through email@example.com
Interested in reading more?
You might be interested in reading the following documents which you can download via the buttons at the top right of this page:
- SAHMRI. A Consumer and Community Engagement Framework for the South Australian Health and Medical Research Institute. Adelaide: SAHMRI; June 2014.
- Johnson A. What strategies for consumer engagement in health and medical research have been effective for consumers and researchers? A Review of the Literature. Adelaide: SAHMRI; September 2013.