Clinical research plays a vital role in helping researchers assess the safety and efficacy of new ways to prevent, diagnose and treat disease.
Clinical trials are a type of clinical research, where patients can be involved in trialling new therapies. Patients who volunteer to take part in clinical research and trials are contributing to the future health of our community.
SAHMRI's vision for clinical research
We've established a Clinical Research Platform here at SAHMRI. It's aim is to:
- provide a central resource for clinical research conducted in South Australia
- provide project management for clinical trials
- be a centre of excellence for clinical research in Australia
Current clinical research projects
Clinical trials currently underway include studies across a number of SAHMRI's themes, including:
- looking at best practice treatment for remotely located patients who suffer heart attacks
- measuring the impact of heart disease and cholesterol in Aborignal communities
- examining the safety and tolerability of a drug treatment regime for patients with chronic myeloid leukaemia (CML)